Renovation works are underway in the Persian Upper Mosque in Shushi, which was built in 1883 on an Iranian architect’s design. During the Soviet era, the mosque was transformed into a historic-geological museum.
Currently, works are underway to reinforce the foundations of the mosque and the adjacent historical buildings. In order to maintain the architectural appearance of the building, the constructors restore the damaged outer and inner walls with similar unpolished white stone. According to the Ministry of Urban Development of the Republic of Artsakh, prior to the beginning of the reconstruction works, excavations were carried out in the area and a professional study was carried out to have a clear idea of the historical environment of the mosque and to conduct proper works on the restoration of the monument.
The restoration works are carried out by the Garden Ltd. Company, through the financial support by the Revival of Historical Heritage Foundation.
Azat Artsakh newspaper