DAVIT BABAYAN ABOUT SOME CONTEXTS OF THE TRILATERAL MEETING IN SOCHI
The Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Artsakh Republic Davit Babayan answers the questions of "Azat Artsakh".
- Mr. Babayan, the parties assessed the trilateral meeting of the Prime Minister of the Republic of Armenia, the Presidents of the Russian Federation and Azerbaijan in Sochi as effective. In your opinion, what gives such a basis? Meanwhile, some political scientists are optimistic, while others are the opposite.
- I think that, in general, when different issues are discussed, they should also express readiness to fulfill the discussed issues and the accepted obligations, but that does not mean that they will fulfill them 100%. However, after the meeting, they usually say that they are satisfied. In my opinion, in general, the important thing is that after the publication of the statement itself, we saw that the main emphasis is on maintaining peace and stability, any specific action, step, etc., which worries our society the most, did not take place. Therefore, in general, we must continue to push our aim very persistently․ Regardless of everything, we should stand firm in our positions and realize decisivly that our destiny really depends exclusively on us.
- What messages does the statement adopted after the meeting contain?
- Mainly the fact that peace and stability must be maintained in the region. Those same actions - demarcation - delimitation, are a long process - it may take years to take place. One of the first steps may be to form some commissions, but it will not be resolved soon. Therefore, we must take this into account and understand that, regardless of everything, any status of Artsakh within Azerbaijan is unacceptable for us. It is unacceptable for any of us, be it the government, the people, the society. We will not give up the de-occupation of our territories. In other words, for us, the regions of Karvachar, Kashatagh, Hadrut, Shushi were as an integral part of Artsakh.
- What conclusions did you draw from the statement?
- The Russian Federation, perhaps, being concerned about these recent provocations by Azerbaijan, will make greater efforts to maintain peace and stability. It seems that the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs will have a united approach, because Russian President Vladimir Putin has repeatedly stated that the issue should be settled within the framework of the co-chairs ․ This means that there is an agreement between all the co-chairs. "
- Was Artsakh referred to in the context of the meeting?
- I think so. It could not have happened, even if it is not talked about. But, in fact, it has been fixed that there are still unresolved issues, there is a conflict. This already means that it is indirectly or, perhaps, directly mentioned that Artsakh exists. - One of our political scientists noticed that Russian President Vladimir Putin, in his speech said that the Artsakh issue should be addressed in the future, which means that the Artsakh issue is not closed yet. - Of course, this means that the Artsakh issue is not only not closed, but Artsakh will exist. The statement that this issue must be resolved in the future is a reflection of reality. This issue is so complicated that there is hardly a quick solution, we must understand, unite, give place to intellect, patriotism. There is an opportunity to preserve Artsakh ․ This is the most important!
- What procedural features did that meeting have?
- There are no special things. We see that the Russian Federation, in fact, had kept the balance. I think this is the most important.
Interview by Anna Petrosyan